Thread: F1 surprises
View Single Post
Old August 24, 2014   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default F1 taste

There was some good news out of all these F1.s regarding the taste traits, although I wouldn't say so of the crosses with ZS. Kim X Kupola was also pretty bland when I first tasted it, which I figured may have to do with the half-lycopene in a red X yellow. But the neglected fruit which sat in a bowl turned very crimson and were much tastier the riper they got, so not entirely a waste of space.

But other F1's definitely had some of the taste improvement of the better parent. Rozoviy Flamingo X Al Kuffa had some of the mother's depth of flavour. BEISt Black Early X Indian Stripe was quite good, although not quite as good - a little lacking in the sweetness, in particular - as the IS parent. The best transfer of taste to the F1 was in the crosses with Black Cherry. Taste quality was there in both the Stubche and Fiabche F1's, very nice reds. And I am equally pleased with the F2 cherries of Fiabche, which were all very intense and great eating, so far. I have one black round in the F2 of the ripe ones to date (late planted and outdoors).

So... grow nine crosses, get a few good ones. My guess is that some varieties may be great parents for taste, some not so much? Or perhaps the "Beta" challenge is a bit much at the biochemical level, the poor fruit don't know what they're supposed to taste like?...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote