View Single Post
Old August 30, 2014   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Here's a Black Opal that isn't very new. I got it in 2012.

http://www.heirloomsolutions.com/Bla...mato_p/565.htm

other black cherries?

Tania just posted about Austin's Black Cherry and one of my seed producers is currently growing a new one called Black Opal which I'll offer in my seed offer next Jan if all goes well, and Kazachka is also a dark cherry, but I'd need to explain a few traits of that last one with you. And I do like it and could send you some seeds since I've been offering it in my annual seed offer here.

Carolyn
[/QUOTE]

I first saw it on Reinhard Kraft's list in Germany, no he doesn't sell seeds but we've been trading seeds for many years, and it was new to mea nd he sent the seeds along with many others I'd requested.

I then saw it at Aaron Whaley's commercial site and found it was bred in England, and when I just did a Google search I found thefollowing:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=black+opal+tomato

All the initial links are from England,which makes sense and I didn't know that JeffCasey, who has a website and posts here,also listed it for 2014.

I just looked to see who was doing seed production for me and it wasn't any of my four regular producers, so then I remembered I'd asked for more volunteers since there were many orphans who needed a home and found out that it was Fred Hempel, I was so surprised he volunteered, who was growing it out. I also sent him some other new ones that I thought might work for his breeding projects.

Since Black Opal has Black Cherry in it, and I know Black Cherry very well, I'll be eager to see how it performs

Aha, I just noted that it was one being grown for me here at home by Freda, but my plants were put out late,several didn't survive and she hasn't brought in anything labelled Black Opal yet, so I don't know if it's a survivor or a RIP one.

Carolyn