View Single Post
Old September 1, 2014   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
There is no association of leaf type with disease tolerance. There is an effect where potato leaf plants grow a bit faster and can to an extent keep ahead of septoria a bit longer than RL plants. It is only a temporary effect. I've searched diligently among the wild relatives of tomato and found that S. Habrochaites has foliage disease tolerance beyond anything we see in domestic tomato.
Darrel, that's a pretty strong statement you made when you said that there is NO association with leaf type and disease.

And one with which I don't agree for the reason you gave.

I have no idea what "effect" you refer to when saying that PL plants grow faster.

I've grown one heck of a lot of PL varieties as well, of course also RL varieties, and regardless of leaf type they can grow at different rates in any one season b/c of all the variables we know of.

You posted:

(I've searched diligently among the wild relatives of tomato and found that S. Habrochaites has foliage disease tolerance beyond anything we see in domestic tomato.)

Fair enough, you've posted about this before, but the question the OP posted was about PL vs RL and disease.

Carolyn