View Single Post
Old September 1, 2014   #180
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb, I had to water them 2-3 times a day, just like the bigger plants, but they did dry out pretty bad a couple of times, oddly the fruit did not crack when they were watered.

The good taste was retained, but it comes with the variety/ good seed. I always believed it is easy too ruin a good tasting variety, but it's hard to make a bad one good.

I feed them continuous feed fertilizer, I have used a couple of types, and am fixing to change again.

Jeff, this is my wife's flower greenhouse, the gutters are for trailing vine things for planters. I am not allowed in this greenhouse with tomatoes until June, to push the subject would be certain misery for me. lol
I hand watered all of the tomatoes because I have been growing so many different varieties, which all seem to grow a little different. Most everything is going on drips now, I am sick of watering, and feel my experiment is coming to an end, now I have to decide where to go with it.
Producing tomatoes for others has been so much fun, but it also takes a lot of my time. I love to whitewater kayak, my whole family does it, my kids are in high school and I turned 50, so I have to be aware of the time train, and juggle my summers to accommodate everything important to my family and beyond. I will certainly grow quite a few plants a year, but 400 trees may be a bit much.
Thanks again, if I can do it anyone can,
Mark
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote