View Single Post
Old September 24, 2014   #8
drew51
Tomatovillian™

A good example for using rock dust, or say azomite. Here in Michigan we are very low in selenium. Horses have come up lame due to deficiencies. They were fed on local food. So no matter how many bacteria, if activity is low or high, if you don't have it, you don't have it.
Also IMHO you would have to work hard to keep bacteria low, the soil is so full, and they can reproduce fast (some bacteria produce 1 million generations in 24 hours). And this you can consider a professional opinion since I used to be paid to grow bacteria. If you removed all matter on earth except that of bacteria, you would still see outlines of everything on earth. Buildings, plants, people, etc.
We have more bacteria in us than actual human cells. Not just a few more, 10 times more.

As far as the many statements I have seen about chemical fertilizers killing bacteria, well this is sort of a spin on the truth. If I add sulfuric acid to my plant water for blueberries, the bacteria that convert sulfur to sulfuric acid do decrease. They have nothing to eat! But as soon as I add sulfur the population explodes. Same thing with NPK too. To claim it is harmful to use chemical fertilizers is spinning of the truth. Yes it does decrease populations, but it's easy enough to increase them, just feed them. No doubt using chemical fertilizers exclusively will have a negative effect on the soil, and will deplete soil of nutrients. But using them in con★★★★★★★★ with organics most certainly will not deplete the soil.

Last edited by drew51; September 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote