View Single Post
Old October 1, 2014   #193
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Season winding down

I went ahead and added up some numbers since the season is so close to ending, and will share some observation too.

I only tracked two plants yields this year.
Brandywine Cowlick's (39.27lbs total yield) 67 tomatoes ripe, (.58lbs average tomato) transplanted March 3rd. The plant was in a 20 gallon container that was 3/4 full, and had four branches. The plant probably reached 10 feet in length.

Bear Creek (21.46lbs ripe fruit) 40 tomatoes picked (.53lbs, average size tomato) transplanted June 4th, much later than Cowlick's. The plant was in a 10 gallon container, the plant had two branches, and reached a length of about 7 feet.

Delicious was not tracked, but I am certain it outproduced both, bigger tomatoes too, and they were good.

Marianne's Peace only produced four very ugly tomatoes for me, but they were excellent. I will try this one again next year, if I have similar results I will use it in a breeding program instead of just growing it.

Caspian Pink is getting bagged next year because the fruits seem to go from good to mushy to fast, and I hate mushy tomatoes regardless of the taste. Brandywine, Limbaugh's, Stump of the World, go from ripe, to over ripe juicy slop, but don't seem to get mushy, I like that Early Wonder is the mushiest tomato I've grown to date, even my 86 year old grandmother, who eats anything commented.

The upside surprises of the season; a very sweet New Big Dwarf plant, it was so good, a tomato lollipop. We also enjoyed the great taste of Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Bear Creek, Momotaro, Snow White, a Chocolate Stripes that lost its stripes, German Johnson. The hybrid tomato Trust, also surprised us, it was very sweet when fall came around. Fred Limbaugh LPT just did great for me again, it produces well, and the taste is excellent from the first tomato, to the last one picked. It is good slightly under ripe, as well as slightly over ripe. They will crack if watering is an issue, and I assume during rainy weather outside too, but they can be picked when they blush and can be ripened inside with very little affect on taste, if any at all. Yellow Brandywine, once it started producing, produced quite a few large, non cracked tomatoes that were a good yellow-ish tomato.

There were several ok varieties as well this season, but it may be my area, or my growing technique that made them ho hum, so I will just leave that be.

For far north, northern gardeners, who want to grow late season varieties, (you must use large starts at the beginning of your season to get good results, around 2 ft tall plants with blooms or tomatoes on it will work, give up on the scrawny little plants) I set up a few of my friends unheated small hobby greenhouses with some late season goodies, and they got to grow their own classics. They actually got pretty decent yields off of most varieties they tried, and they were happy, so that's most important.

I figure I can string this season along for about two more weeks, if anything worth noting pops up I'll post what I see. Have a good winter tomato peeps,
Mark in the frozen north
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote