Old October 25, 2014   #13
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I'm interested, Claud.
And thanks in advance!
Dutch
The Common or Field Horsetail is what I use and is the only variety suitable as all others are poisonous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum_arvense

I don't use any commercial pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or fertilizers in the garden.

Horsetail tea is used as part of Biodynamic Farming and this recipe is the result of information gleaned from several articles and using it for several years.

For each gallon of concentrated tea you will need 6 green Horsetail fronds about 30" in length chopped into 1/2 " pieces (I use a paper cutter) and 1 gallon of hot water.

I make the tea in 3 gallon batches using a 16 quart stockpot and a 23 quart enameled steel canner. I put 18 chopped fronds in each pot with 3 gallons of hot water and bring to a boil (covered), allow to boil for 15 minutes. Then allow to cool overnight and strain with a stocking. Pour into 2 liter soda bottles and store in a closet until needed. It keeps for over a year without refrigeration.

This makes a concentrated tea and must be diluted to use.

For a preventative spray mix 2 1/4 cups of tea with 1 gallon of water and spray plants including underside of leaves to the point of runoff.

For an active infection double the mix to 4 1/2 cups of tea per gallon water.

I add a tablespoon of molasses per gallon of spray as a sticker when I spray.

New growth on plants will not be protected and depending on how fast your plants are growing will need to be resprayed in about 10 - 14 days.

I've used it for mildew on squash, cucumbers, beans, cantelopes, and melons. Rust and Wilt on beans. Wilts and Blights on tomatoes and peppers. Molds on peas and beans.

I hope this will be of use. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote