View Single Post
Old December 5, 2014   #28
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Most of the products mentioned don't handle brown rot. Sure I can use the products, as a number of fungi like peaches. I have used actinovate. It's just the synthetic stuff works and works well on brown rot, and just about everything else. Though I would settle for even a 50% yield. Monterey Fungi Fighter gives me about 98% fungus free fruit. Even my organic friends have given up and use it. Year after year of no fruit, they had enough and are now happy. Best example is Scott on gardenweb. he grew peaches for 12 years organically before he switched. It is a major problem for now. Scott grows everything organically, except peaches and some plums. We do use organic fertilizers and such. I still have some chemical fertilizers, and will use them for now, but soon will try and eliminate them. See how it goes.
I would tend to agree with you. The knowledge required to grow an organic fruit tree is significant higher than the knowledge required to grow them with various pesticides.

But there are people doing it successfully. Not many, but a few. I truely do wish I could help you better. But honestly I haven't grown organic fruit trees in 30+ years. So my knowledge is not even close to up to date with all the new diseases and insects that now plague us.

All I can say is this in general terms....the increased pest load is a symptom of a larger ecological deterioration of the whole country. I wish you luck. I truly do. If that means you are forced to sparingly use some pesticides until you learn ways to avoid it? That's OK too. Organic should never become a dogmatic religion, it instead should be a guiding principle. You use it when you can, and if you can't, that's ok.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote