View Single Post
Old February 6, 2007   #6
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Awesome replies! Thank you very much for your enthusiastic replies. Despite there being llamas in this area, local gardeners <apparently> have yet to discover their 'contributions'.

Garnetmoth,

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one in my search. I experimented with the dry pellets last year by adding a mulch layer of pellets to one of my tomato beds. They did an excellent job of retaining moisture. Unfortunately, I didn't make side-by-side comparisons using different mulching materials, so I can't claim the pellets are superior in that respect.

Landarc,

We have Willamette Valley clay just below the surface here, so I know where she's coming from. I hope I can get similar results this year.

Ruth,

I started a special bed last fall just for melons and/or squash that is 50% pellets. The rest is leaf mold, coffee grounds, straw and native soil.

My last load of pellets (in '06) was in November, and they were almost like clay themselves-wet, slimy, and slippery. I learned my lesson; I will allow it to dry a bit before I harvest it.

Paul,

Some of the information I was able to glean made mention of alpaca poop as being nearly identical to llama poop. Go for it!

In closing, I'd like to thank the moderators for this fine website community. I've learned many things since I stumbled upon it. I also just found the SSE website 2 days ago(!). I've already decided to try growing "Silvery Fruit Tree" tomatoes. I don't know how they'll do here as I haven't met anyone who grows them. Along with that discovery, I have ordered Carolyn's book. I look forward to it.

Thank you, all, for your contributions.

Regards,

Michael in OR....zone 8

Got compost?
(I love to compost.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~