View Single Post
Old December 15, 2014   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

3000 lbs! Wow! How many square feet do your 12 beds total?

I saw a TED video someone here linked a couple of months ago that professed that leaves are completely adequate to produce a complete compost. It did say that adding coffee grounds would be beneficial.

I gathered a couple hundred pounds of mulberry leaves and I am planning on making tea with them. I don't have access to oak leaves but I hope mulberry will suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I have decided to use the free and abundant resource of tree leaves this year rather than manure to supplement my beds. The 12 inch beds need about 6 inches added to them. I have collected (thanks, neighbors for your bags of leaves) and mulched about 3000 pounds of oak leaves and other yard detritus, and am spreading thick layers of the mulch on my beds. My idea is that in 3 months of rain and weather, they will break down sufficiently to plant, with extra compost in the holes.

I was inspired to do this by the 1960 edition of the book, The Complete Book of Composting, by J. I. Rodale, which makes the claim that a pound of oak leaves contains twice as much nutrient as a pound of manure.

Question: Are there likely deficiencies I should worry about with pure leaf mulch?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote