Thread: Harvest 2005
View Single Post
Old February 22, 2006   #13
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Full Moon,

Bummer to hear about the season ~ ...
Hopefully next year will be much better for you ~ :wink: ...

Rock on; raised beds sound cool ~
How come you don't like the spot your gardening in now ? Bad soil ? bad spot ? bad everything ? ...

Do you have a fence to keep those critters out?
or some kind of mesh to go over the plants for those birds?

I saw that Grub (and others) who garden in Aust. or have bird probs. put hats on top of the stakes to keep them away ~ might be something to try ~

About your idea ...

I'm sure you need to make sure all of those ingredients are properly decomposed before you plant in it ...
6 months should do it for you ~

Otherwise you may have too much nitrogen in your soil and have bushy plants but no tomatoes ; or more importantly bad fungi which could def. kill those little guys and put a damper on the season ~

I think as long as you apply even amounts of everything and not got to heavy with one ingredient you should be fine ...
However I would add much more soil than anything and build it up that way -
you also need to make sure you turn it over to get air in there ...

Here is what I would do :
(and please remember I'm no pro here nor am I really familiar with your climate; just giving you my opion :wink: )

4 Parts Top Soil / 1/2 Part Manure / 1 Part Leaves /
1 Part Kitchen Scraps / 1/2 Part Seaweed ~ Turn it over to get air in there and make adjustments as you go - Feel the soil ... does it feel like the kind of dirt something would grow good in? Muck is no good ; and sand is .. well ? sandy with no nutrients ~

If all else fails, and you think I'm a raving lunatic about building up your soil using certain natural or kitchen ingredients; tell me so ...
then hit www.google.com and search there !!! lol ~ hope this helps alittle ~ Tom

ps. sweet was able to log back in and my paste stuck , lol !!! sweet !!!
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote