View Single Post
Old December 18, 2014   #62
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I saw some references to recent studies and the leaves once composted are really not that acidic. Not acidic enough for say blueberries.
I would not assume just because you read it, or read anything it is correct. Of course if you applied that to this post, you could probably ignore it! What the heck do I know!
It's probably true that the leaves aren't that acidic "once composted". However, like bark chip mulch, while it is composting, it is tying up nutrients from the soil. Do we want to do that to our veggies?

I wonder how long those leaves will take to compost for the original poster. Hopefully, before he plants his tomatoes in the spring. I know they would take longer where I live because of our brutally cold winters. Therefore, I'd rather do it in a composter or away from my veggie garden.

As for the book, since it claims to be "A gardener's guide to the soil food web" (revised edition). I would hope that it would be correct (for what is currently known or assumed). Although our knowledge base is changing all the time and it's hard to keep up .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote