View Single Post
Old February 7, 2007   #6
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

In the past, buying pre-sized B tubers for planting was an expensive premium, but with increased demand, many seed growers customize their crop by planting closer and vine killing sooner in order to maximize the 1 7/8 " to 2 1/2 sizes. The Netherlands really emphasize this habit since they export much of their seed potatoes to developing countries where seed cutting machines are not available, or stand losses are problematic in cut potatoes.

Diseases spread rapidly when seed potatoes are cut. Rot takes its toil in the ground. I have to sterilize my knives in chlorine bleach between varieties of potatoes. I have to build up many of my potato clones rapidly at times, so I have no choice but to do this cutting. I also need to evaluate clones for their propensity to tolerate seed cutting.

I have used many types of seed potato dusting over the years. I have used gypsum, lime, sulfur, Product 21(minerals) fir bark, etc. I don't spray water on the cut potatoes, but I suppose a kelp spray is OK. Conventional fields offer many fungicides that mostly are not available to the home gardener.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote