Thread: Raspberries!
View Single Post
Old January 26, 2015   #62
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I just purchased 5 Heritage Raspberry plants from Jung Seeds. They say to space them 2 feet apart. I have Black walnut trees nearby in the back yard. Thinking of planting them in a 4x4 raised bed with 4 plants a foot from each corner and one plant in the middle of the bed (like a 5 on a dice pattern). Does anyone have any thoughts about this plan

2 feet apart is just about right. In a couple years they will be a solid row of canes. No worries with the Walnut as far as Juglone is concerned. Unlike tomatoes brambles are not affected by it. They can tolerate some shade too, as long as they get about 5 hours of sun. Some do better in shade than others.
It's best to put in rows, as they need support, else berries will be on the ground. Rows should be 2 feet wide. In a 4z4 they will fill every inch of it, and the sanes in the middle will not get enough light. They will also grow out of the bed and all over as far as 8 feet away from other plants.Suckers can go that far. Thye usually don't but can. I have had it happen a few times.

Last edited by drew51; January 26, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote