View Single Post
Old January 31, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default where to fertilize

This past year was my first time to plant a garden at my parents house, well
in the last 45 years. During that time it was grass. So I didn't do anything but till the soil & planted southern peas okra eggplants. I had an issue with nematodes
and stunted plants which I attributed partially to a forest on the east & south side and low ph.
I know in my area with the huge amount of rain (70+inches) that the soil was acidic. I sent a soil sample to Auburn. They gave me the recommended amount of lime & they recommended 13-13-13, but I never asked for an organic recommendation. I started building compost piles last may, so I plan on spreading
this out and tilling it in probably the 1st week of march if the soil isn't to wet.

Now what I did on nov 1st was take fresh horse manure & spread it through the entire area, and then the pelletized dolomite lime which auburn suggested to raise the ph. Now I know I probably changed the nitrogen level somewhat and I am considering sending another sample when I till it, and ask for an organic as well as inorganic recommendation. As you can see I want to go in the direction of an organic garden & I realize it doesn't happen overnight which makes me think I may have to do a bit of both until I have a few seasons where I can build my soil up with compost. I have been working on collecting a huge amount of leaves, that I can compost and also till into the soil in the fall. I also plan to use the shredded leaves for mulch around my tomatoes & okra & etc.

So now for simplicity would you spread your fertilizer throughout the garden or just try to shoot for where the plants are. It would seem very expensive if you tried to spread organic like you would say 13-13-13. Plus are there any organic fertilizers that are already made up that would be close to a 10-10-10 Any and all advice would be appreciated.