View Single Post
Old February 4, 2015   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
I know they have been talked about to death. I know lots of people debate the 'real' Brandywine, or what to call the various colours. But despite being one of the originally popular 'heirlooms', I see it on very very few growlists.

What I really want to know is...

Should I grow it? I have seen DTM's range from 78-120 days. That's a BIG range. I have a relatively short season. I only have room for about 8 full-sizes tomatoes, and I prefer blacks to reds. According to my husband I have to grow 'one plant that makes tomatoes that look like tomatoes'. so. Should I give Brandywine a try this year or pass it up?

I grew Marianna's Peace last year and liked the flavour enough.
Are Brandywine's the 'true tomato'? Are they worth trying at least one year? Are they very fussy? Can I grow them in south western ontario?
I'll only post about Brandywine Sudduth, as some of the Pink Brandywines that I've trialed are not Brandywine Sudduth.

It's a VERY fussy tomato in my garden, that only has peak flavor about 1 in 5 years, 3 of 5 years it is very good, and 1 in 5 years is poor. In a good growing year it is 73 DTM for me, probably about 78 DTM on average. About 99% of all beefsteak varieties that I've trialed fall between 70 and 79 DTM in the best conditions. If something weird happens to a plant in my garden, I won't get any ripe ones until about 120 days, with virtually nothing between about 80 and 119 days.

The flavor in that 1 in 5 years is worth it, as it is the most intensely flavored tomato (of the ones where I like the flavor) in my garden.

Last edited by Tormato; February 4, 2015 at 01:15 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote