View Single Post
Old February 5, 2015   #14
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I wondered when Camo would pop up! Well, Camo has been hyping this one for awhile. Ironically, it is "his" strain of Brandywine? I bought in, also....sure hope it is good for me too. Funny, I read Craig's book (excellent book) and noticed he really loves "Lucky Cross". Turns out...it is his tomato he developed! I sure wish I was smart enough to do something like they have. Oh well...I am a pretty good fisherman...
Ed,
I had nothing to do with Cowlick's Brandywine development, other than naming it to distinguish it from other Brandywines at the time. It was simply a plant I had bought from a local nursery. The owner of which had about a half dozen tomato plants in his greenhouse, all about 31/2-4 foot tall. By the time I realized it was something different than all the other Brandywines I was growing at the time, and really something special, It was much later in the year and when I returned to his nursery in search of more information, I couldn't get much. As he remembered, he bought it from an Amish seed source that listed it as either Brandywine or Pink Brandywine.
Now, I was responsible for sharing seeds from it with many tomato growers on this and other forums, about 7-8 years ago. Mostly all were impressed with its productivity, (as well as its taste and characteristics), and they in turn shared seeds with even more tomato growers worldwide.
It is a great tasting tomato, much more productive than other Brandywines, but quite similar with its thin skin, small core, large size, and delicious taste. After many years of growing Brandywines of all types, I'm eliminating Brandywine-Sudduth's and other Pink Brandywines from my gardens, this coming season. I will still grow Cowlick's Brandywine, Brandywine -Glick's, (From Amishland), and a Red Brandywine P.L. from Homegrown Harvest.
I'm more interested in growing German Johnson-Benton Strain. Both the R.L. and the grafted P.L. version and extremely interested in growing German Johnson-Benton Strain crossed with an unknown Black, It's also P.L. and I suspect it to be crossed with Bear Creek, another Brandywine/Cherokee Purple cross developed by someone else.
I suppose the German Johnson -Benton strain cross is mine and I'm calling that one "Barlow's Best Black" No one else has any seeds for that one...yet. Maybe available after I see how it does this coming season. Then it will be available only to a select few, till it proves itself.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote