View Single Post
Old February 16, 2015   #8
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hays View Post
True that blackberries will sucker, but when you cut the roots that makes a new plant. The people who have patent do not get paid for. The same with tip layering, and root cuttings. It takes years to develop a new variety on any plant and actually 100's of thousands of dollars to get it to market. That is why the patent owners will go after anyone they find out are propagating plants under patent. I have been working for over 15 years on a new variety of muscadine, When I get it finished and have a patent on it you better believe if I hear of someone propagating my plants and I don't get my royalties from it they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
I could understand if someone were to propogate the patented plants and grow them to sell , to make a profit for themselves. But for a typical homegardener who just wants to dig up the suckers and divide the plants that spread after a number of years, you are saying they could be prosecuted, am I understanding this correctly?
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote