View Single Post
Old March 2, 2015   #115
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfdillon View Post
As a new gardener, I am trying to understand all the disparate and undocumented various best practices pertaining to growing vegetables in a backyard garden. Would it be possible for someone to list the website from where these 3 products can be purchased most reasonably? And document just how to apply these items most effectively when growing tomatoes and other common garden vegetables? Thanks in advance!
"disparate" is a good word for it. But don't let all those various practices confuse you. Gardening is like science, there's a lot on experimentation along with all its failures and successes before you might get an idea of how things work. Just think of all those farmers over the eons who learned some types of soil grew crops better than others, that using animal manure and composts grew better crops. They had no idea there were living organisms that they couldn't see with their eyes down there that made it all possible. They had none of the advantages of modern science to even explain some of it.
I categorize growing practices into old school and new school. It's not that utilizing microbial inoculants is undocumented, like me I didn't know much about it until I was exposed to it here. Science has been working on understanding the mutualistic relationship between plants and bacteria and fungi for many decades and still have only scratched the surface.
Microorganisms are as critical to plant nutrition and health as they are critical to animal nutrition and health, yet most people don't know much about it even though there is a ton of information out there.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote