View Single Post
Old March 2, 2015   #9
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I practice no till.. so every year we put 12 inch mounds down each row and plant directly into it.
We lay the rows each february and plant into it late march or early april.. we have two mounds of compost going at all times a year old pile that we use each year and a new one that gets all the horse manure, chicken poop, pig poop and any and all spoiled bales of hay, plus kitchen, garden and coffee shop scraps over the year... KEYS, well composted with literally hundreds of worms at ground level working the compost into the soil within a couple of weeks after laying the rows. seeds sprout well in it. my soil grew cactus only 5 years ago and had little or no organic matter so it probably will handle much more compost than your soil.
Each year my garden produces more and healthier veggies, so until this changes and the production levels off, I will continue doing this each year before I back off. Hope this helps some to judge your needs.
I'm like Scott, I don't think I will ever have enough. (my pile starts out 10ft wide 20ft long and 5ft tall and shrinks to about half by the end of the year)

Last edited by tuk50; March 2, 2015 at 06:07 PM.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote