View Single Post
Old March 8, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Over a few decades, I've bought many different sprayers for many different reasons.

As a brick and stone mason, the simple twist type made of brass works best for washing mortar off of roofs and concrete floors.

Playing with the kids and grandchildren - a dollar store multi-function type does great.

Watering in the garden, I like using a long handled wand type.

What I have learned over the years is that it is more about the water pressure and hose size. A cheap light duty half inch water hose with low water pressure produces a fine mist. A heavy duty 1 inch hose and water turned up all the way can wash a brick off a porch.
Salt what you are experiencing is friction loss.

To give an example when I did the calculations for my irrigation system I did a test.

The water at my faucet was 50 psi 10 gallons a minuet running through about 70 feet or more of 3/4 copper water line.
I jumped from 3/4 to 1 inch tee'd off right out of the meter.
I got 30 gallons a minute at 50 PSI.
The smaller water line creates high velocity and the higher the velocity the higher the friction loss.
The water line that was installed at my house went against industry standards on feet per second by a really long shot.

One aggravation with hose end sprayers id the pressure that builds up when oit is off.
This is called static pressure.
You turn the faucet down so you dont blast your plants but at first the pressure has to drop to the lower flow.
A really good fix for this is to put a regulator on your faucet end.

Here is one that is affordable.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Ad...r-p/18-007.htm
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote