View Single Post
Old March 10, 2015   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
I cleared a wooded part of my land to add space to the veg garden. I can till it up, but it will require a lot of effort ripping out tree roots. I am only living here one more year and would like to avoid that if possible. The soil is soft and crumbly, a clay mixture for sure, but previous owners had horses back there so between the horse manure that broke down and the woods decay of leaves and such it is ok soil without ammending.

I figure I can plant pumpkins out there easily as they kinda ramble and take over without much work. Probably corn too, I was thinking potatoes, but I am not sure how easy they will do.

Do you have any recommendations on what breaks new ground the best?

TYIA
Personally I would simply roll out the mulch and plant my seedlings. Couldn't be easier.

Similar to this, but instead of in sod, it is in newly cleared forest. Red Baron Project

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; March 10, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote