View Single Post
Old March 16, 2015   #6
spuriousmonkey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I've read that seedlings should be grown in "a cool spot", and that a temperature of about 65F (18C for me) is good. What I haven't been able to find, is an answer to the question of where to measure the temperature. The temperature under the lights during the day is considerably warmer than the room temperature. (At night it's no problem. They're the same.) Any advice?
You would need to measure the temperature under the lights. That's how warm the plants will be and that will decide how fast the physiological processes can run. The warmer, the faster a plant can grow. (which in this case is not good).

Are the plants leggy this year?
When did you start them?

My biggest mistake as a fellow scandinavian tomatoe grower is to start them too early. I started my first batch this year on the 5th of March. A few weeks later then last year, because I run into logistical problems later on. Plants are growing fast and are big but they can't go out yet (during the night). Last year I had around 100 plants. This year it will be more.

Legginess isn't a really big problem usually because you can plant the seedlings just deeper when you transplant them. The extra stem length just goes underneath the soil.
spuriousmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote