Thread: Pickling Cukes
View Single Post
Old March 19, 2015   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I've just grown the picklebush, because I didn't have a ton of room. Squash vine borers getting you?
Could be. I scout my plants several times a day and never noticed and bug problems with them, but then I've never really looked for squash bores on cukes before either since I never had a problem with them.

I don't know if picklers are more susceptible to heat and humidity or not. It probably my fault. I think the seeds know I want them to grow really bad for these folks and just want to drive me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
There is one that I've been curious about called, "National Pickling". I've never grown pickling cucumbers, but would like to try this one.
Send me a pm with your addy. I have a few extra N.C Pickling cuke seeds I can send you to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Salt, National Pickling is a great variety. So is Chicago Pickling, and Snow's is selection of Chicago Pickling.

Star, I just follow the directions on the bag. Once a month, 1/3 cup around the base of each vine (I grow mine on trellises so it's easy to find the base of the plant). When I have the straw on there, I just move the Garden Tone around with my hands to get it to go through the straw and down to the soil. In case you haven't used it, it's a granular and very easy to measure and use. I use it on the squash, as well. Same amounts.
I wonder if maybe that was part of my problem. I always trellis my big ones up, but since I figured these guys was small I didn't. I just let them ramble.

I looked to see if I still had some of the pics I took of the vine going from pretty to croaked, but I must have deleted them so I wouldn't have to look at another failure.

Thank you for the direction on usage. No I haven't used Garden Tone before, but you can bet I am going to this season.

I haven't even told the ladies I am going to try again this year. I don't want to get their hopes up in case I fail again.

While digging in my cucumber seed bag I see I have a few seeds of something called de Bourbonne Cucumber and West Indian Burr Gherkin.

Anybody tried them yet? Having the word burr in the second one kinda scares me to even give it a try.

Last edited by Starlight; March 19, 2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote