View Single Post
Old March 23, 2015   #1
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default Early Girl seedling: normal growth????

I started several varieties of tomatoes from seeds, including the Early Girl in question, twenty-three days ago. ALL of them sprouted an average of 6 d later. They ALL got their first true leaves together (even tho those of EG were proportionately tiny. . / at maturity EG is only 18 inches tall).

And THAT is were the similarities stop! The growth of EG just STOPPED with the appearance of two tiny true leaves; the seedling never grew any more beyond its half an inch size. The others continued to grow and their true leaves elongated. so I set the six-pack insert in 1/4 strength MG Tomato Food: the others responded with more growth and another set of true leaves! Early Girl seedling did NOTHING!!! It didn't grow, change from a healthy green or die.

Last week, I moved that EG seedling to another 6-pack insert of seeds that had just sprouted. I THINK I can see a tiny bit of elongation, maybe a cm or two, but not THAT noticeable. Meanwhile, the others have started showing the buds of true leaves.

My question is: is this the normal growth of EG: VVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRRRRYYYYY slow???

(PS I started the last two EG seeds earlier this evening, hoping. . . . )
RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote