View Single Post
Old March 25, 2015   #10
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepertsx View Post
Gardening in Houston Area. Fungus is a big problem. Does copper interfere with beneficial bacteria such as actinovate, or Reglia? Is Serenade affective?

Yea, copper-based fungicides are toxic to soil bacteria. I haven't used serenade, but foliar feeding with a fungal dominant tea (preventative maintenance) will also help ya with the fungus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
I cleared a wooded part of my land to add space to the veg garden. I can till it up, but it will require a lot of effort ripping out tree roots. I am only living here one more year and would like to avoid that if possible. The soil is soft and crumbly, a clay mixture for sure, but previous owners had horses back there so between the horse manure that broke down and the woods decay of leaves and such it is ok soil without ammending.

I figure I can plant pumpkins out there easily as they kinda ramble and take over without much work. Probably corn too, I was thinking potatoes, but I am not sure how easy they will do.

Do you have any recommendations on what breaks new ground the best?

TYIA
I'd top the plot with a good 2-4" of compost then drench it with a few balanced compost teas.
To finish it off I'd top it with some mulch - grass clippings, leaf mold, bark etc .. That should give the food web a nice boost and loosen the soil up some more.. You could also inoculate the pumpkins with some fungus - Good luck!
http://www.hollandsgiants.com/soil.html

Last edited by Mike723; March 25, 2015 at 01:37 AM.
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote