View Single Post
Old April 7, 2015   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Carolyn's idea of keeping them dry in glass vials.....has worked quite well for me.
Amazing how long they can be good for. The older they are the longer to germinate, but most come up for me. This year several 7-10 year olds came up in about 10-14 days.
No, I didn't store my seeds in glass vials, they were stored in screw cap plastic bottles, 100 of them to each box, that I had kind of liberated from work when they switched to a new scintillation device used for radioactivity data that required different bottles.

When I ran out of those in about 1995 I switched to plain small business envelopes not sealed and still use those. Most of the time since about 2004 my seed producers would send back to me seeds in coin envelopes or similar, and those were put into those small envelopes, not just processed seeds.

My saved seeds were not stored in a fridge, just stored at ambient room temps and humidity and temps in that back room would vary from a low of about 64F ( my default setting back there) in the winter to maybe 80 F in the summer and yes, it could be humid sometimes.

When I had to pack seeds when it was cold back there I had a small electric heater, for me, not the seeds.

Carolyn