Thread: Carrots?
View Single Post
Old April 15, 2015   #39
karla-
Tomatovillian™

Here's a tip I found on another gardening forum for carrots and it has worked amazingly well for me so far. I used 1 ply of paper towel and used a small dab of white Elmer's glue to glue down the carrot seeds. Once the glue dried, I rolled up the paper towels and stuck them in the freezer for a few weeks. Then I planted them in my garden with the glued-seed-side down in late February. When it was cold (up until late March) I watered a couple times a week, although now it's once a day. Because of the paper towel being on top of the seeds, they didn't blow away and they didn't dry up. My little carrot tops are 1-2" tall now and I have almost 100% germination (I did four squares - four different varieties with 25 per square). The square paper towel was perfect for me because I have a square foot garden, but this is basically a homemade 'carrot tape' that you could make in any configuration to suit your garden needs. Having the paper towel on top of the seeds really helped with keeping them from drying out, and the seedlings had no problem going through the paper towel to grow. I did have concerns about gluing the seeds down, but Elmer's glue is non-toxic and kindergarten kids have been eating some of it for generations, so I figured it can't be that bad :-)
karla- is offline   Reply With Quote