View Single Post
Old April 27, 2015   #13
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Wow...thank you, Ginny. That is quite the complement! You will love the GBB, I'm sure. You will have to let us know about those purple vikings!

It was pretty cool and rainy last week so I tried to get my plants hardened as much as the weather would allow. Hopefully this week is more conducive as I need to plant out this weekend.

I wanted to post a few pics of my spring herbs that have come back after our rough winter. It never ceases to amaze me! Also the GBB potatoes I sprouted in my pantry are growing like gangbusters already!

In order of appearance: Lavender (it didn't die after all),Lovage, GBB potatoes (home sprouted), Chocolate mint, Evergreen onions

I just had to harvest some of those beautiful herbs to work with in the kitchen. Below is a shot of them (Green onion, lovage, thyme (from my two year old plant) and some baby arugula. I used them to season some pork cutlets and a spring pea risotto. Peas + lovage = Heaven!

I also harvested some of the cilantro I started in January. I have been running the flat in and out of my garage for months. Haha. I harvested about half the flat and tried the salt curing process I referred to earlier. You add about 1/4 to 1/3 as much salt (in this case pink himalayan) to your portion of chopped herbs and mix well. Then you can either spread this out on a cookie sheet and cover with cheesecloth until dry or, as I did, you can put it in a mason jar in the fridge. You are supposed to give it a good shake every day for about a week. This method is supposed to preserve the fresh flavor better than drying. I will certainly keep you all posted! Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lavender Regrowth 4-25-15.jpg (51.2 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg Lovage 4-25-15.jpg (76.1 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg Home sprouted butter balls 4-25-15.jpg (65.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Chocolate mint 4-25-15.jpg (71.5 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg green onions 4-25-15.jpg (82.1 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg frsh herbs 4-25-15.jpg (48.8 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Spring herb pork and risotto 4-25-15.jpg (57.9 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg cilantro 4-25-15.jpg (40.6 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg Salt cure process 4-25-15.jpg (75.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg Finished salt cilantro 4-25-15.jpg (48.4 KB, 301 views)

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic

Last edited by BucksCountyGirl; April 27, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote