View Single Post
Old May 2, 2015   #56
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
re: sharpening, I have a bench grinder and learned to use it for wood turning tools from a skilled buddy in the days of our wood lathe experiments.. but last year had to sharpen some axes and refreshed my knowledge about that online.... mostly folks recommended the file over the grinder for axe blades. So I did them by hand and I was pleased with the results.
bower, your post reminded me of an old tool I want.

There is a grinder type that I've wanted to find for decades now. I Met my stepmother's grandfather back in 1975. I was 10 years old, he was over 90. He was a very interesting man who raised chickens commercially. He showed us the whole place, and it was fascinating. In one small barn, he had a grinder for sharpening tools. No electricity - you cranked a handle. You could make it go as slow or fast as you wanted. That hand powered grinder impressed me more than everything else combined on his unique farmstead. Seeing and using that grinder really made me look at life in a better way.

It looks a lot like this one https://www.google.com/search?q=hand...56%3B624%3B416
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote