View Single Post
Old May 3, 2015   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, I do think it's probably a somatic mutation. You would not get dark leaves on one side and lighter leaves on the other side if it weren't.

With most true Dwarf varieties the central stem is very sturdy and usually fasciated, going back to Tomato de Laye as described in several of the links in the following Google search;

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Tomato+de+Laye

I'm not betting house money on this but I do think a somatic mutation has a good chance of being right.

Carolyn, who also says every time I see Norway as part of your user name it brings back so many wonderful memories of visiting many places in Norway, as well as some folks, one relative actually, and also in Sweden where the Carlson side of my family came from. Ja?
Being back to the probability of a somatic mutation, we're also back to your question in post 3 here about trying to separate the parts and grow them individually. I've no experience with this type of experiment. I suppose I could transplant again up to the top sets of leaves. The two parts would presumably develop separate root systems from the point of separation up to the top of the soil level. I'm not sure how long it would take for this to be enough to sustain the smaller part. I wonder whether it might be better to let them grow together, and see what the fruits turn out to be? I could then save seeds, and plant the mutation on its own next year. I'd be grateful for your advice.

My connection to Norway began as stage manager on a Norwegian cruise ship, where I met my Norwegian wife who was ship's nurse. I was born and raised in New Hampshire, but I've now been in Norway for 37 years. I'm still enthralled by the country's natural beauty. Ja!

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote