View Single Post
Old May 25, 2015   #12
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Toronto View Post
I like the flowers because they have an interesting and fresh flavour. I usually pinch off close to the main stem so I have a long 'handle' when its time to dip them or eat them, though I cut them off for the above plate. I also usually remove the flower's sex organs before I stuff and cook, just assume these wouldnt be as edible as the rest of the flower, which almost seems reminiscent of some sort of lettuce.
I agree with this, the flowers are great! Make sure to gently wiggle your fingers into the closed blossoms and remove the sex organs, although some say this isn't necessary, I prefer to do it. Plus, I've found more than a few bugs this way that were hiding in the blossom I try to pick only the male blossoms, usually perched on a long slender stem, and then pick the baby zucchini before the female blossom wilts too much.

MY favorite variety of zucchini, for the vegetable or the blossoms is an Italian heirloom called Costata Romanesco (got mine from highmowingseeds. com). These plants grow and grow and grow here in the hot and humid Midwest, despite their Mediterranean origin. I've often mistaken a single plant for 2 plants in my dad's garden. They are sweet, green with white stripes, and have more flavor than most of the more typical varieties I've tried.

Fried with a light, puffy beer batter and a pinch of salt is great. But I think they really shine in an egg dish, like the Fritatta mentioned above, with some green onion and goat cheese. I have a pic of one I made last year somewhere I'll upload that will make you want to try it

Mine just sprouted last night...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1273.JPG (115.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1305.JPG (125.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.JPG (117.2 KB, 118 views)
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote