View Single Post
Old May 29, 2015   #6
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

My compost pile lies between four large stacked stumps and then I have a low brick wall in front of it. I didn't like the container approach because access was awkward especially for turning. The days I don't turn anymore, I cold compost back then it was really annoying trying to get the shovel into the mix with my short arms.

If you have trees around, there are lots of browns available in summer. Leaves come down after every storm as do sticks, pods from last year, eggshells, tea bags, plain cardboard, pine needles, a bit o wood ash (not too much) and sawdust from non-pressure treated wood are all good browns.

"The stink" is pretty easy to avoid, don't worry too much about it. Don't put meat or poop in your pile and make sure your grass clippings are well distributed. There are books and books on composting but what I have found over the years is that if you stick organic stuff in a moist pile it will make compost quite nicely. The processes in the books make it happen faster, but if you do not have an urgent need for piles of the stuff, the lazy girl approach (cold composting) is also quite satisfying.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote