Thread: Chiggers.
View Single Post
Old June 7, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Oh shoot! Those nasty things are painful. I am sure there will be several folks that will offer remedies.

We have them bad here and of course I got into them major time when blackberry picking. Didn't know what the nasties were. I was covered all over . I was in misery. Neighbors thought it was funny and told me what I had was chigger bites.

They also told me to paint nail polish on the bites. I tried it and actually it made the situation worse. I ended up in the ER I couldn't stand the itching and pain.

The nurse that checks you in, she started laughing when I told her my problem. She also said I had the worse case she had ever seen. Then she told me to go home, get a bar of dog flea soap and take a shower with it. Get all lathered up and let it stay on for about 15 minutes. I just kept rubbing the soap around and in. Than I rinsed off. In a very short time, the welting, itching and red spots was all gone.

May sound crazy, but I keep a bar of the dog flea soap around and use it when I need to.

For very sensitive spots, like around your eyes, I don't know if I would use flea soap, but witch hazel on cotton balls and held in place for several minutes usually does the trick. I will use the witch hazel whenever I get just a few bites either that or some bleach and water mix.

MAybe this will help too.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...ArticleContent

Only thing I know of to help keep them out of yard is to treat yard with sulfur. Seems they don't like it. Coating shoes and socks with it too before going outside is supposed to help if you don't want to spray yourself with bug spray.

I hope you can find some relief fast, especially for your eyes. That is very dangerous area.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote