View Single Post
Old June 10, 2015   #63
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
Not trying to hijack your thread squirrel789! It's yours, do post more updates and photos! Your enthusiasm must be catching.
Nothing to apologize for, this is exactly what I was hoping for! I was stoked to see the new posts and love to see how others are doing their containers and learn what I can from it! I just haven't posted in awhile, I've been on vacation since last Thursday. Went to a lake house but the lake was WAY up due to excessive rain and essentially a gross mud puddle. Still had fun though, I just stayed out of the water...

biscuitridge - I love the trellis system for the raised bed! I would definitely be interested in trying something like that next year! I'm sure I could attach the side posts to the trough with the proper hardware and holes drilled. I've never used the string and clip method but seen it on some various post, but they usually required a greenhouse to attach the top of the strings to (not really possible in my space). Yours is my favorite I've seen so far though. Orderly, neat and looks very sturdy and well-built.

Maybe I missed it, but how long are the string going to the top of the trellis, and have you ever had problems with the vines growing over? Also, I assume you prune the plants to strictly 2 vines, given the 2 strings? Sorry for all the questions, I've just not tried the string method. I'm curious to see more as the plants continue to grow.

The portable greenhouse looks optimal as well, very well-planned and executed, and better than any kit for that price. It looks like you've done this sort of thing before...
Ahhh, to have more space.

Thank you for sharing your awesome setup! I hope people keep 'em coming :-)

As for my plants, a liberal dusting of DE into and on top of the mulch and light application of a VERY diluted pyrethrin spray (.01%) with canola oil worked wonders. When I came back I saw very few, almost none actually, of the pests I had been seeing before I left. No more chewed leaves or spots, and nothing that really concerned me. I am hoping it was mostly the DE. After reading a bit more about the pyrethrin spray (although it didn't have any of the more dangerous PBO in it), it is still quite toxic to cats, which I'd like to avoid.

Anyway, the trellis is a bit embarrassing compared to some here, but the plants are growing and flowering well, even a few little green toms on couple plants. We finally got some heat and dry weather and they really started to take off while I was gone. As someone predicted earlier, it's getting to be a bit of a jungle in there, and I will need a taller support system soon if they continue at the current rate. I decided to give them a bit of a "haircut" while pruning by removing just a few of the lowest foliage branches, but it still looks pretty jungle-ish. My bad since I planted a few too many into that space I guess, but they seem to be doing alright so far!

The only plant that hasn't really wanted to take off yet is my Golden Jubilee heirloom, though I can't see anything obviously wrong with it (spots, yellowing or curling leaves, pests, etc.). Maybe that variety is a bit of a late bloomer? I am afraid it is going to get over-shadowed before long. The other heirlooms are doing fine, but that one seems a bit behind. It's on the far right of the second pic.

Anyway, here's how the garden goes (grows?) so far after almost 3 weeks:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2106c.jpg (711.9 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (2)c.jpg (804.1 KB, 152 views)
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote