View Single Post
Old June 18, 2015   #18
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Hydrozoa, I know I answered you yesterday, don't know where it went. Anyways, my problem is just the opposite. Where my garden is, there used to be a building. Along about 70 years ago they tore it down, filled the basement with the brick walls of the building and filled it in with sand. Over the years nature built up the soil enough to support Bermuda grass, creeping Charlie, stinging nettle, Bermuda grass, some unknown weed that spreads by long heavy ropey roots, various weeds, and Bermuda grass. It's been a never ending battle against the grass. Every year we dig out all the grass we can, till deeply (12" at least) don't mulch, don't add organic matter back into the soil. My husband used landscape fabric in some areas last year. Know what happens when you use landscape fabric with Bermuda grass? Stupid grass will travel under the fabric, popping out of every planting hole. Anyways, end story is when I went to plant this year, I found nothing but sand. No soil, no worms, not even pill bugs. This is our 3rd year gardening in this area, so in 2 short years we undid what it took nature 70 years to do. Talk about incredibly stupid.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote