View Single Post
Old June 29, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunner View Post
Thanks all for the information. Somehow I felt that the wiping process onto a paper towel
would not be a good method. Would I be safe to try saving from BetterBoy?

Thanks
Mike
Mike, Dave has answered you but since I have personal experience saving seeds from Big Boy F1, bred by Dr, Oved Shifriss and also know that John Peto bred Better Boy F1, I can tell you the following.

Both ofthose hybrids have one parent in common and that's Teddy Jones, a large pink heirloom tomato from the midwest.

I wanted to see if I could get Teddy Jones out of Big Boy F1 and Oved was my advisor. So I saved the F2 seeds from the hybrid fruits and planted out about maybe 10 plants. I got red fruits of different sizes and shapes, all due to what's called genetic segregation, and of course I tasted those fruits, b'c they were there, and nothing exceptional. There were just two plants that had the pink fruits I was after, but Oved said they were too small,but I never did b'c even the smaller pink ones weren't to my liking taste-wise.

Oved was at Burpee when he bred BBoy F1 and so was John Peto, but he left taking Teddy Jones seeds with him and formed a company called Petoseed, which is how TJ became one parent of Better Boy F1.

All to say that I think you'd be wasting your time saving seeds from BB F1 unless you have a specific goal in mind and are willing to spend several years going after that goal.

An OP version of Big Boy F1 is known:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B...b=General_Info

But I've never seen an OP version of BB F1, not at Tania's data base nor by looking at several of my earlier SSE Yearbooks

Hoe that helps,

Carolyn