View Single Post
Old June 30, 2015   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I don't know who Horseshoe is but one of his favorite tomatoes is Abraham Lincoln

"Another favorite tomato, 'Abraham Lincoln', dates back a bit further to 1923. An excellent slicer with wonderful disease tolerance. I hope to have it growing in my garden for as many years as I have taste buds (or have friends who do!). The meat to juice ratio is perfect! Slicing into it your eyes will witness a meaty fruit with just enough juice to transport its flavor to your tongue. From that point on you’ll discover a taste that is slightly acidic yet complemented with just enough sugar so as to not offend those of us with sensitive stomachs! An exceptional delight in the garden as well as on your plate! A friend of mine insists this tomato is “a little bit of heaven on a hot day”! By the way, “Abe” (like RCML mentioned above) produces fruit all summer long!"

Sounds like he has the original Abraham Lincoln and the picture of it sliced was beautiful and the plant was full of tomatoes.Probably why old Abe isn't more popular is because most people try the wrong version which seems to be sold at most seed companies.

First, Shoe does have a website, but what he sells off of that are tractor parts, etc. He also has a stand at his place in Efland, NC where he sells tomato seedlings and fruits. Gets most of his seeds from me.

He has written articles for Dave's Garden,

No, I don't think he has any original Abraham Lincoln, he doesn't sell seeds at all. If I remember, I can come back and give some history about Abraham Lincoln, etc.

Carolyn, just rushed today and for the next couple of weeks since she MUST watch the tennis from Wimbledon.