View Single Post
Old June 30, 2015   #27
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

If you are just fermenting your seeds to get the gel coating off them then 2-3 days may be sufficient depending on ambient air temps and air exposure. I've done it but found I had to scrub them a great deal more and they were still sticky.

But if the goal in fermenting your seeds is to disinfect them as well then longer time is needed and the minimum recommend time is 7 days to allow for sufficient bacteria to build up. Farmer Fred doesn't discuss disinfection. Neither does Aggie-Hort. or any of the other links posted above. They are all about gel removal. So depends on what your goal is but why waste the time doing it if you aren't going to allow sufficient time for disinfection? Especially if you will be trading seeds. Why would you want seeds that hadn't been disinfected too?

I suppose a case could be made for a short fermentation just to break down the gel coating - although even that isn't guaranteed with only 3 days - and then use one of the other methods of disinfection on them. But why over-complicate the process.

Dave