Thread: New Grape Plant
View Single Post
Old July 10, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Odd that muscadine isn't doing well there. They are a true wild grape that have no issues here in my region. About as bulletproof a plant as one could imagine. I would compare its vigor to kudzu as once established it walks the line of invasive weed.
Now we have these vines all over the place. Woods are loaded with them. Bunch of duds. They do grow like Kudzu, but they never produce anything. They just sort of suffocate what ever is in their path. Sorry, the pic is off back porch. Have a rattler that hangs in that area so not getting close.

I was going to cut back all the vines early spring than got busy with tomatoes and forgot til it had exploded everywhere. Now I have to wait til winter and the snakes are hibernating before I'll step foot back there to pull them out. One of those sure wish I hadn't put off things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I just want to clear something up.
Are we talking about the true muscadine or what some people call possum or mustang grapes.

Worth
What cute names. Never heard muscadines referred to those names before.

I don't know what I have in the back that produces. It was something I think the birds brought in. It makes bronze colored types grapes with what looks like darker little spots on them that are sweet. At least I think it is a muscadine. I was going to pull it one day as it was all vined through the Beauty Berry tree I have for the birds and as I went to cut I noticed all the fruits, so I just left the two to continue to grow together and I duck under and around to pick.

Now about 10 years ago I did buy two good sized plants of a named muscadine and planted them. Got them from a very reputable company. Said I didn't need a male and female for this kind. Been to long so I don't remember the name.

Three years and I had a few scraggly leaves. All these years later and maybe have about 3 feet of vine still only a few kinda cripsy, yellowed leaves and no fruit.

I'm not very good with fruits even though I would love to grow them. Gotta learn sometime even if it means trying and trying again. At least my new fig is putting on new growth. Haven't killed it off so I am happy.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote