View Single Post
Old August 3, 2015   #25
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I grow for a "producers market only" I am one of two vendors there with produce. I grow on about two acres of land. as much as I can fit in wherever I can fit it in. Apples to zucchini. I do it because I can, I am not financially dependent on the income from it to live on. I don't know anyone who can do farmers markets and sell enough to not need a day job. If you have a day job to pay all the normal everyday bills you don't have time to grow for a market. I work outside almost all day long 6 days a week. If I am not working out there I am baking bread or am at a market. I am not getting rich by any stretch of the imagination. I do it because I want to remodel my kitchen and that takes money. I don't have the skills to do it so I must pay someone else to. my ability is to grow so that is what I do. My husband has the day job.

I understand the frustration of "where are the farmers" but those who grow full time don't have the time to go. they sell it wholesale. If you grow full time for farmers markets you have to be able o sell it during the week or have cold storage for your produce. I don't know anybody who has a walkin cooler for their produce for a Saturday farmers market. I am getting there, but I have been doing this for 5 years now and am accumulating the equipment slowly. It takes money to get set up for doing markets as a grower full time. I do 4 farmers markets and a roadside stand so I sell all week long, not just on Saturday. There are very few people who want to work this hard and it is hard work.