View Single Post
Old August 8, 2015   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Great looking garlic!

Garlic is what started me down this garden path...

I grow a hardneck called German White originally purchased from a NY farmer at a garlic festival. It's been a consistently successful variety for me. I had also purchased Music at the same time which grew well the first two years then did poorly the next two.

Last year I purchased new seed stock for Music, as well as Siberian and Metecchi and planted forty of each variety including my German White.

In the end I harvested zero Metecchi (not a single clove sprouted), five Music (may give up on this one), 25 Siberian (will try again), and all 40 of the German White.

They were all planted in the same bed in blocks by variety, and the GW was in between the Music and Metecchi, so I know it wasn't a soil or weather issue. The cloves didn't rot, they just sat in the soil and did nothing. Since I purchased and planted in the fall and didn't discover the problem until spring, the vendor was no help. They only guaranteed that the cloves would arrive "in good condition."

Going forward, I'm thinking I'll stick with my tried and true GW. If Siberian settles in and continues to do well, it can stay. I'm hesitant about purchasing any new stock at this point.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote