View Single Post
Old August 8, 2015   #45
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default UPDATE on Tomato Bugs

UPDATE

After Diazinone, Deltamethrin, and DE treatments (separately) the bugs are gone. To make sure it was strong enough, I chose the scorpion concentration for the Deltamethrin and oh my was it. Everyone ran for their lives, way more than with the Diazinone.

As a reward for enduring their treatments, I brewed a batch of alfalfa-worm tea and spoon fed everyone this morning. They seem to be rebounding. I plan on brewing continuously and using it as a full strength drench. Simultaneously I'll push the plants as far as they'll allow with the M.O.A.B. and hopefully I can salvage things.

I documented some of the damage so you can easily ID it if it starts happening.

The plants pictured are, in no particular order: Couilles de Taureau, Joe's Pink Oxheart, Danko, Wes, German Johnson, and Neves Azorean Red,.

damaged truss 1.tv.jpg

damaged truss 2.tv.jpg

damaged truss 3.tv.jpg

Arrows show suction sites where they will bend and likely break in the future.

damaged truss 4.tv.jpg

damaged truss 5.tv.jpg

They also really like to hit the suckers, they end up as a curly fry and nothing more.

damaged truss 6.tv.jpg

More arrows showing where they fed.

damaged truss 7.tv.jpg

The poisons have not discouraged welcome guests. This guy was a real cool customer and posed for the pics. I was right next to the plant and hadn't seen him, then I turned and saw these monster red eyes looking right thru me. Just beautiful.

todays visitor1.jpg

And another sunflower, this time my King Ghidorah (not its name, but what I call it) courtesy of M.O.A.B. from Mad Farmer. These were billed as single flower types.

sunflower.tv.jpg

One more poison application left, and then it's officially over.

I started a bunch of Cosmonaut Volkov as a hedge of sorts, since they did great for me last winter. I want my fall-winter tomatoes!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote