View Single Post
Old August 9, 2015   #44
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I suppose that my main complaint about heirloom tomatoes is the awe and reverence that they seem to be given: That they carry the aura of a religious experience. I think that it is undeserved. There are some heirlooms that work well for some growers in some climates. In my estimation, a variety is not an heirloom unless it was in existence before I was born, and if a variety has been around for that many generations then it is highly inbred, and I really dislike that type of inbreeding.

I hope that I never develop an OP tomato... (If the definition of OP includes inbreeding for enough generations to achieve "stability").
To be honest though - if you don't like the taste of tomatoes, I don't think you would be able to appreciate the experience of heirlooms (and good OP tomatoes) like we tomato lovers can. I grew hybrids for some years, and ate them at farmers markets, and when I first encountered heirlooms, it was practically a religious experience. I'm not sure tomatoes get inbred like animals do, perhaps Carolyn or someone can comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post

I tend to grow non-hybrids, non-heirlooms, and non-OP tomatoes...
Ummm - what does that leave?