Thread: Okra in zone 4?
View Single Post
Old August 9, 2015   #30
joseph
Tomatovillian™

On Friday I evaluated how the okra patch was growing.

Among my landrace okra there were 6 pods on 20 plants. I rated the plants between 1 and 5 for vigor. Average was 3.8 There were 9 plants given the maximum score for vigor and 2 that were given the minimum. The plants that were given the minimum score were from a sibling group from the tallest plant in my garden last year. That sibling group also had a plant with the highest vigor score.

Among the foreign okra that is growing for the first time in my garden there were 18 pods on 46 plants. On the vigor scale they scored between 2 and 5+. The average score was 3.4. Of 20 varieties that I am testing, only 3 varieties contained a plant that was given the maximum score for vigor.

I gave one plant in Bam Ya Tohumu Sultani a vigor score of 5+ because it was the most vigorous plant in the garden. The other 2 plants from this variety were given a vigor score of 4. All plants had at least one pod on them.

All 3 plants in a NOID variety that I am calling Trade were given a perfect vigor score. It hasn't produced any fruit. It is burgandy colored. Some of the leaves were turning brown.

The 3 plants in Fife Creek were given scores of 2, 5, and 3. That seems to indicate high diversity within this variety. One plant was called "Great", and the other two were called "brown leaves".

Varieties that have produced at least one fruit are:

Jade,
Julies Grex (most fruits to date),
Bam Ya Tohumu Sultani,
Burmese
Face Of The Earth Grex,
Gold Coast,
Ever Tender

65% of the foreign varieties had leaves which have partially died, and turned brown. The varieties on which the leaves are turning brown are:

Trade,
Clemson,
Julies Grex,
Bam Ya Tohumu Sultani (some plants),
Fife Creek (some plants)
Heavy Hitter,
Burmese,
Piggy 1,
Face of the Earth Grex,
Lee (bug eaten),
Missy's From SLC,
Ever Tender,
Noid (lost marker)

Some of the varieties are already branching. That seems like a good trait for my growing conditions because it might provide more fruiting opportunities earlier in the season. The branching varieties include:

Gregg's,
Cow Horn,
Piggy 1,
Cajun Jewel,
Noid,

After scoring the plants, I cut off all the brown leaves, and removed any seed pods from plants that had brown leaves. Woo Hoo! I had okra to take to the farmer's market... When I brought the unsold home, that some of them were too fibrous to cut. Guess I need to learn how to harvest okra...

My fall frosts might start as soon as 4 weeks from now...
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote