View Single Post
Old August 17, 2015   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Those look great, Nematode. I'm sure there's a best bulbil protocol out there but I'm not sure what it is. The basic notion is that you cure them like a regular garlic and then plant em, I plant in fall same time as garlic but some do spring planting. As long as there's a green stem attached, it will be nourishing the bulbils and letting them grow and mature to the max. I would just cut the stem long (if it's still green), put a paper bag around the top with a twist tie and hang them upsidedown to slowly mature, dry and cure.
The best keeping bulbils I had, were from cut scapes that flowered in the vegetable bin.. they just kept expanding until they started to pop themselves off. They also were slowly drying /curing because the scapes were not in water. When I collected them they were basically falling off the stem in a 'cured' condition more or less.
Last year I tried to get flowers and true seed from some scapes. For that you're supposed to keep the cut scapes in water, and pry out all the bulbils. I did get some flowers, but also they kept making bulbils, I couldn't tear em out fast enough. So I stashed all the bulbils to plant, but they didn't keep or cure as well as the first lot, some got brown spots. Still there were so many, I still got quite a few growing.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote