View Single Post
Old August 31, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Need to know about seeds

This year I only had one lonely little carpenter bee who did a little bit of pollinating , but not much and when it got hot here, even he disappeared, so I more or less hand pollinated all my tomatoes.

Normally I would bag, but with only one bee and me having to pollinate, I didn't. So what I harvested this year is OP's. I know there are several here who don't bag and fruits still come true, so I figured I would be ok.

Here is the question I had asked, but they were not an expert and couldn't answer my question.

I grew what I thought was going to be Lemon Boy and what I ended up with was a lot of orange currant plants instead. They were not grouped together and was intermingled with all my other plants.

I was told that currant tomatoes are one that will cross with anything and you don't have to do anything to make it happen. That currants are like peppers, they cross in a heartbeat.

I have a few other seeds and was thinking about maybe joining Tormato's MMM swap, but I don't want to include any of the seed I harvest this year if the above about currants crossing that easily is true.

Things happen and maybe you get a seed that doesn't come true. You get a good surprise instead. I just don't want to offer to anybody seed that could possibly be crossed that easily and have them think they getting Amazon Chocolate and they end up with a chocolate currant instead.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote