View Single Post
Old September 1, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Well here is something I need to know about seeds Let's pretend I obtained some seeds from a questionable source (no one here of course).How many years would I have to store these seeds before I could be sure they were disease free and assuming there were some diseases on the seed coat. I think it says 2 or 3 years for something like canker to be eradicated from garden soil.Or maybe the diseases will never go away no matter how many years I wait.I am sure someone here knows the answer
Most of the important pathogens found on the seed coat will stay there no matter how long you store the seeds but it does depend on How you store your seeds I would think.

Asking about how long some pathogens can remain in the soil is a totally different question. For the common foliage fungal pathogens it can be up to 5 years but you can get around that by turning the soil over completely with a shovel, not with a tiller, so the spores are buried deeply and less likely to be involved with what's called splashback infection if they were closer to the surface,'

I also know that Fusarium infested soil is a problem and in some cases such soils stay infested.

Bacterial Canker is found in the endosperm of the seed, not on the seed coat.

Carolyn