View Single Post
Old September 8, 2015   #41
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Oh Jeebus, I don't need to be hearing this! I'm converting everything but the pumpkins to fabric pots next year and construction has begun.

This is where somebody needs to say, " It's all about adaptation and paying attention, if a person is good at growing things in soil, they can be good at containers."
Yes, if you do well in-ground, you'll do great in containers. And for some strange reason I also feel compelled to write "Yes VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus."

You just need to pay attention to what the plants tell you.

Try the 25 gal fabric ones, they seem to be cheaper than the 20 gal. I've acquired gray, black and brown fabric pots and the differences are aesthetic only. For me, 2-3 plants per 25 gal fabric pot produces good results. I also have some in 5, 7, and 10 gal, depending on the size of the plant.

About half of them are in regular black plastic grow bags and they work just fine too. In the end, it's not so much about the enclosure, but rather what's in the potting mix.

Reaching that happy medium between moisture retention and good drainage is essential. I use powders for the initial amendments, and from then on they get fed liquids.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote