Thread: Kazoo F1
View Single Post
Old September 8, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Last summer (2014), I made a cross between one of my nearly stable creations (Cherokee Purple x Summerpink) and one of Mark McCaslin's creations (Michael Pollan x Kozula #139).

This summer I grew out 3 vines of the F1 cross, and got two vines nearly identical, with high round or sort of egg shaped tomatoes; and a third vine that had larger, more rounded fruit. The slight variations between the vines must be the result of using the F2 pollen from the MP x K-139 plant in 2014.

These were picked fully ripe:

These were picked a bit before full ripe:

If you look closely at the tomato in the center of that second photograph, you can see the intermediately dominant skin striping characteristic from the Michael Pollan x Kozula #139 parent. Future segregations and recombinations will carry the skin striping more predominantly.

Here is Mark McCaslin's MPxKozula #139 (F2) that I used last year as the pollen donor:

Here is the Cherokee Purple x Summepink line that I used in the cross:

I got two takes, so I have plenty of F1 seeds to go back to in the future if needed. However, I have a few thousand F2 seeds at this time.

I'm shooting for cocktail to salad sized GWR and Purple/Maroon, heavily striped recombinations, egg shaped or heart shaped, whether blunt or pointed.

All three F1 vines were hugely productive, so I hope that characteristic continues as the inbred generations progress.
Kozula is a very very talented tomato breeder doing her work in the Ukraine.

I remembered that in Reinhard's last list he listed and showed pictures of hers, but none were the#139 that was used,and his were K25-56, brown/antho and 62, brown/reds K 54-68 , PL and antho,K-54-70, long pointed green/gold which I liked the best, K54-71, orange/green and finally K-54-84, a cherry.

Your pictures look great so I hope you get what you want, but maybe you don't know what you want until genetic segregation has done its miracle work.

Carolyn